Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Updates and Prayers

Good Morning Friends:

I am writing to ya'll today to update you on the A-mazing things that God is doing in my life, my heart, my mind and my city. Some of you have no idea that I met with a represenative at the Mayor of Baltimore's office a little over a month ago to discuss my dreams and my visions for the City of Baltimore, including eventually opening my own Dream Center in the heart of the inner city. Well since then God has been doing some amazing things in my heart and the heart of those who are interested in my "efforts" (for lack of a better term). A week after I had that first meeting I received word from Mr. Augustus my contact at the Mayor's office that he had spoken with a local church and they were interested in hearing more about my dreams and how they could partner with me. At that time it looked as if I wouldn't be able to meet with these people until after Easter, well all of that got pushed aside and I met with Mr. Augustus and Mr. Larry Andrews (Who is doing some work with local gangs) yesterday.

This meeting was extremely productive, aside from sharing a little bit of my heart with Mr. Andrews, a tenative date (The second weekend of June) has been set for a block party in the Franklin Square area of West Baltimore, which will kick off the Adopt-A-Block program, that will allow myself and a team to adopt a few blocks in this neighborhood. I was able to see the inside of the Bethel Outreach Center that sits on Mcullough Street in Baltimore with almost the entire building under utilized. If I should decide that Bethel is the church to partner with in the city, the potential for use of this building is out of this world.

Sitting in the conference room in the Mayors Office and walking through the halls of this amazing building that no one is utilizing, I realized how much bigger God is than any of this. Through these meetings, the encouragement I am receiving from my friends, from people I don't even know and essentially the city of Baltimore is more than enough confirmation that God is clearing the path and waiting for me to follow it in doing amazing work for Him in a city that needs it.

I am asking you to join me in prayer for a few (okay MANY ) things:

* Prayer for patience, guidance and an open mind over the next few months. I know that the planning of this event is going to be so much fun, sometimes frusturating and overwhelming. I also know that Satan is going to attack me in ways I don't even know yet.

*For a team of people to come forward and be part of the main planning team and for people to come forward to volunteer their time this particular Saturday and the Saturday before for a prayer walk and the following Saturdays as we begin to form relationships with the people in this area of town and do our best to meet the needs of them.

*For the hearts of the people whom we have yet to meet, but I know that God is going to send to us.

*For finances, resources and donations to be able to pull this off.

*For guidance in making the decision to Partner with Bethel Church.

*For Dr. Reid (Pastor of Bethel Church), Mayor Dixon, Mr. Augustus and the other people whom I have yet to meet who will play an instumental part in making all of this happen.

Thank You Friends for your love, support and prayers.

Also for those of you who've not yet seen it I have attatched a copy of the vision plan I presented to Mr. Augustus a few weeks ago.

In His Loving Hands,
Colleen Smith

ps: If any of you are interested in hearing more about the burdens God has laid on my hearts, the upcoming events in the city or being a part of them please feel free to contact me.

1 comment:

Anna said...

girl!!! We need to talk. I'm so excited :) Love ya!!!! ~Anna K